Friday, August 17, 2007

Online Publishing

a friend sent me this article about online publishing in china, and i thought it was cool enough to share. my dad always told me to be sure to write on edible paper. don't know that he'd considered cyberspace as a potentially profitable medium...

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2007/08/online_novels?currentPage=1

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this the wave of the future? Are we going to have to do this to get our own book deals? Hmmmm . . . very very interesting.

8/18/2007 8:33 PM  
Blogger malcolm said...

Thanks for putting this up, Katie.

The real wave already crashing on our shores is "print-on-demand" publishing, which makes use of "print-on-demand" production capabilities; however, it's a disguised form of vanity publishing.

If you guys are interested, let me know sometime and I'll send some stuff I use in a course on the publishing industry.

be well Ron and Katie
mc

8/20/2007 7:11 PM  
Blogger Everette said...

The concept of vanity pubishing has gone into another orbit with blogging. I'll have to find this in a dna-comparable tangle of threads on my blog, but freeware exists that converts one's blog into a pdf file, hense, publishing.

I'm off the wall, here, but a recent interview of Matt Goering (sp?) reminded me I'd bought his (very, if not, self) small-press comic, WORK IS HELL from Printed Matter a good twenty years ago. Comics back then were a forerunner of a few current graphic genres and online venues.

Asians seem to be always ready for a challenge, when it comes to graphic design and publishing.

I'm off the thread, like I said.

I'm wondering just how much writing becomes ephemeral, when we're too quickly desiring publication. So, Malcolm, particularly, thanks for the reference to vanity publishing.

My brilliant advisor offered his advice when I admitted my concern so many of my friends are published, and submitting like mad. He said, in effect, Mel, there are thousands of places to be 'published." Wouldn't you feel better of your poems were published somewhere devoted to CRAFT?"

Well, I did it again...

God knows, I think online writing is invaluable as an apprecticeship for someone like me, to get the storm out so the ground can settle.

8/29/2007 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home