Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Reentry?

So how goes making that shift from footloose writers at residence to productive citizens in our regular lives? Many folks talked about their challenges doing this. Anybody have good ideas to make this process easier? What say you graduates? What is life after graduation?

5 Comments:

Blogger Randall Brown said...

I've worked with VC grad and writer/teacher extraordinaire TERRI BROWN-DAVIDSON before beginning the MFA at Vermont. To continue the momentum built at the MFA, I'm going to be working with her again beginning in August. Also, staying involved in writing as a reader/editor of literary journals has made the transition a bit easier. I also have an on-line community of writers that keeps me motivated. I think isolation and avoidance are the worst post-residency/post-grad situations to be in.

7/12/2006 11:49 AM  
Blogger malcolm said...

I recommend my approach: DO NOT LEAVE.

Day 5 at VC and no one has discovered me holding out on campus yet. A few close calls with maintenance when they came through to clean my room, plus one day I think Louise might have seen me in the cafeteria but other than that, I'm cool.

It's not the same with everyone away and to be honest, I've already earned a BA, but I'm still managing the main goal: avoiding re-entry, growing up, leaving Tinker Bell.

7/12/2006 4:58 PM  
Blogger Darren A Deth said...

I find myself enjoying my job more than I did before the residency; it's because I know I'm working on something to get me out of the pit. Watch my boss read this blog now and fire me.

I started a Writers Group a couple of months ago. There are three of us so far. Once we come up with formalized rules and a name I plan to advertise the group in the New Hampshire Writers Project Newsletter to recruit more people. We meet once every three weeks.

My biggest concern is that once the first packet is sent in that I will lose momentum. There is also the fear of how the first packet is going to be received. This is where the real work is.

7/12/2006 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Malcolm. Just don't leave. I'm doing my best to keep the magic alive in my head by reliving some of those incredible moments from this last residency. Other than that, I'm part of an online workshop that meets weekly. We discuss two stories per week which helps me avoid that isolation Randall mentioned.

I have yet to go back to my "real" job as a nurse (that happens this Friday). Once that happens, re-entry will probably be almost complete. Shucks, right?

I have two packets due in August (the 1st and 29th). Should be fun trying to accomplish that with my kids around 24/7. Why can't school be year round? ;)

7/12/2006 8:58 PM  
Blogger David Gresham said...

You guys have it sooo together! I just said fugghit (you know what I mean) and submitted my notice to my employer. What am I going to do? Move out to the country between Houston and Austin and write all day. I figure I can grow or shoot my own food, my Number 3 Underwood needs no electricity and takes a cut up paper sack without too much complaint. I have running water in the creek and the coyotes laugh at all my bad jokes. Family's moving out too so it will be a real paradise with the kids running around in the prairie grass and chasing armadillos.

7/25/2006 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home