First Packet
The first packet hits the mailbox tomorrow. Has anyone else here submitted theirs yet? I know I'll be anxious to hear from my advisor. Of course, it doesn't help that I'll be on vacation out of state when he responds. What was I thinking?
What were the major issues you found putting the packet together? Not enough time? Critical essays? Creative work?
What were the major issues you found putting the packet together? Not enough time? Critical essays? Creative work?
9 Comments:
My first packet's USPS tracking no. shows it hit my advisor's reputable hands this afternoon. My sixth sense requesting her might side-kick me in the head, but sometimes I need that, seriously.
I can't claim I didn't have enough time. It did take me a week-plus, however, to recover from the trip; i.e., the plane's air pressure did not let go of my ears (this, hearing) until a few days ago. I felt kinda silly; after all, I don't need my ears to type, or think. But, that feeling is awfully distracting.
While I am not quite at the level of having only-written-perhaps-two-coherent-essays-in-a-decade, I did follow Randall's advice (I HOPE that's right) and composed my thoughts as they are, trying to follow at least a hint of structure.
So, yeah, my critical essays need a LOT of work, and improvement. My advisor will help get me there.
Creative work? I was going to suggest, can you imagine how hard it was for me to NOT WRITE A SINGLE POEM IN FORM for Packet 1? What's scary, now, is I am beginning to imagine I don't want to write in form at all, at least for the rest of this semester, so that's for five months.
I want to see coherent change in my essays and poetry.
I want to see creativity and cohesive critiquing in BOTH.
I am beginning to understand my advisor's first key words: "You listen too hard, Melody."
It's kinda ironic. Lip-reading might give me the syllables; but it's the sound, the pitch, the (e)motionality and distance, and a thesaurus' worth of things I have to more see and touch.
It's the physicality I need.
Kinda like a crush, well, really isn't.
This is why my current advisor might land in therapy after me.
I see tons of talent in every one of us.
Can't you just imagine the spin in every one of our talented advisors? They gotta love this empathetic witness of what we might think is torture, but is in the end, a blessed product, a press run, a realization a piece of you belongs to the world.
It's our advisors' wisdom that will help us get there.
That's another theme that is repetitive for me, lately: collaboration.
Wave/Cool.
The problem (or answer?) with an advisor/poet's tough reputation preceding her, is it's scary BEFORE submission. and AFTER.
If the boot kicks me in the butt to where I need to go, thank GOD(DESS for the camp.
After all, I wasn't drafted. I enlisted.
First packet went off yesterday. Now the clocks all seem to run that much slower. Sigh. Wish us all luck.
Still in preparation. Hard first packet, because it is a first packet -- new advisor, new direction, new everything. It will always be this way, I suspect, fraught with anxiety, self-doubts and excitement too. So far no particular snags in the work. Life events are covering snag territory amply so my work seems innoculated at present. Grateful am I.
Got mine sent off on Tuesday and just found out the post office screwed up and sent it someplace else. Now it probably won't arrive for another 2 or 3 days. Has anyone else had delivery problems, and how did you handle it? Are the faculty usually pretty strict about the packet arrival times, or is there some flexibility? I'm first semester, so I'm not sure how these things usually work. I hate getting off on the wrong foot though, especially since I struggled so much to get the packet together in the first place. Ugh!
I received confirmation that my advisor received my packet yesterday; it was due today. I was a little anxious as I had waived the need for a signature on the Express Mail label, but they still didn't drop it off Tuesday when it got down there. There was a nice little note saying they were going to try a second delivery and if no one was there to receive it they would hold it at the post office for five days before returning it to me. I asked myself, even though I am not a postal worker, can I go postal?
All worked out in the end. Now, if I can just manange not to chew my fingers off waiting to hear back from my advisor.
My advisor is going to ruffle me into a poet, by GOD!
How many saints guide me?
As if I am anywhere near priestly,
but, we deserve all
the blessings we can get.
Woo Hoo!
Packet Number One sent and confirmed recieved.
I can breathe again for exactly four minutes...three...two...damn. Here we go again!
How did everyone do on their first packet as far as responses are concerned?
I think I did fairly well. I messed up on the critical papers a little, but nothing major. It's clear what I have to do now.
Post a Comment
<< Home