Packets?
Quick question about who's received packets yet? I've not.
When did it arrive, if you have it?
thanks
mc
When did it arrive, if you have it?
thanks
mc
The unofficial, virtual campus for students, graduates & instructors from Vermont College’s MFA in Writing program.
9 Comments:
I was just mustering up the nerve to ask the same question.
It's cuttin' it kinda close.
I got mine about 3-4 days ago. I'm in a great group with loads fictionistas as well as nonfictionistas. Very strange since I'm not a double major. Some good writing in my packet. I'm sorry to say Malky I do not have the pleasure of your company in my group this summer. Dayem.
I'll be patient for another week, then I'll inquire directly. I am a LOT bolder cyberly! Louise and her cohort Melissa respond to my concerns with grace and promptness.
And, to think I got mine in a week early!!
Stacie, dear, (my cat perked up from her furry faux cat nap to meow (more like a mew; she 'talks' a lot, sometimes purrs loud enough for me to hear, sans hearing aids) I laughed out loud at:
"Meldy, you're poetry, too? I dunno. H'm."
Oh, my dear, I love that! I think. Since I am in a postive state right now, I'll take that as a compliment.
Besides, I am in a rather experimental mode, now. Emphasis on the mental. "I dunno. H'm." For the few people I allow to 'know' me, that pretty much sums me up.
And, Stacie, oh my GOD! Spouses in MFA Programs, different genres!!!! There's a chapbook in that, I'm sure.
Yep, I'm in "poetry too." Scary, isn't it?
I just finished reading a review of a recent cabaret act by Eartha Kitt, still carrying her earthy sexy purr that would reduce a lithe Madonna (from her 20's) to a kitten. Kitt is 79. There's hope for me, yet.
I am in(to) poetry. But, I ask myself constantly:
Am I a poet?
Not yet. Kinda.
Got mine yesterday and I do think they're cutting it too close this time. We should get a month to do a careful critique of all the stories. And I'm with you Jewel, confused as to why they lumped fiction and CNF together (though there should be great discussion from that group) when we're not in both genres. Is CNF holding up fiction or is fiction holding up CNF? I wonder. They should have given some communication as to the rationale behind it to clarify. But oh well.
My packet arrived this morning. I am dumbfounded by the talent in my group.
Amateur/ adolescent, that's me.
This summer, by God:
I am a tour of form and blank; can't let myself be addled by idle essence.
Dumb / founded. Odd, isn't it?
Perhaps I can hire myself as self-tutor, teach me to read poems better. Consult Hirsch. Write better.
It's time for me to leave my twenties!
Perhaps I can sybil-
ize me.
Recd nonfiction packet 3 days ago.
Mine's here. I've got only one workshop leader this time and thought there were always two so I was a little surprised by that. Many surprises for folks it sounds like. With three familiar faces from last semester but everyone else is completely new to me.
Maybe they're short staffed in the summer with Slovenia and vacations, etc. Hmmmm.
I received mine yesterday as well, and it seems I'm lumped in with some of you in the large Fic/CNF workshop.
As I'm going into my third residency, I will say that, while not having participated in a mixed genre workshop, the program has at least one each semster. I have heard from some of the folks who have participated that it really gave them an alternative perspective on their work. So perhaps it is, as Martha says, "A good thing."
And while the time is short to critique, what is it 14 pieces, I'm cutting the staff a little slack as I can imagine how difficult it must be to sort and organize these workshops so no one has the same workshop leader they've had in the past, while trying to mix up the participants so we're not getting feedback from the same people, and all the other requirements they impose on these workshops. Man, I wouldn't want that job...
Post a Comment
<< Home