Monday, February 06, 2006

The Onion River Roundtable

Welcome to the Onion River Roundtable: the unofficial, virtual campus for students, graduates and instructors from Vermont College’s MFA in Writing program. With a fellowship flung round the globe, we—the Class of Fall ’08—wanted to create a place to convene, chat, and carry on the sense of community that forms during the intense residencies in Montpelier.

So here we are.

Our name comes from the Onion River (also known as the Winooski, Abenaki for “wild onion”), which falls from its headwaters in the Green Mountains through forest, valley and farmland roughly 90 miles to Lake Champlain. En route, the river passes through downtown Montpelier, as do many fine poets and writers in their individual journeys as wordsmiths.


Reminiscent of New York City’s Algonquin Roundtable from the 1920s and of course, King Arthur’s legendary table of equals, the Onion River Roundtable pools together a community of writers—bound by a common place—and drawn, as if by a swift current, toward the invisible, unpredictable, ever-irresistible flow of artistic expression.

As in writing, there are few rules, (almost) none of which is unbreakable:


  1. Membership is by email invitation to any and all writers associated with VC’s MFA program. (For inclusion, write onionriverroundtable@yahoo.com with your name, preferred email, and when you were part of the program.)
  2. When you receive a reply, Blogger.com requires that you register. (It’s quick, easy and FREE.)
  3. Finally, we’re an upbeat community and want to create a stimulating, supportive, and informative environment. Controversy is a reality of life together and an opportunity for growth as writers, yet we hope our debate and discussion will always be respectful.

We have many ideas for how to use this forum but, as with water, the roundtable belongs to us all.

So send an email. Sign up. Log on. And sound in (or off) on what you’re thinking, writing or reading.

14 Comments:

Blogger Lené Gary said...

I think it looks great, Malcolm & Ron. The "rules" list, email, and description all work perfectly for me.

1/31/2006 10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks super! I'm impressed. How do you guys know how to do this? I think you need to have a little crash course at one of the residencies to teach us grasshoppers how to buzz. The name is ... um, interesting. Hopefully, someone has a lot of Altoids to pass around. The only thing is, we're not the Fall '08 class, but the Winter '08 class, right? Or did I miss that memo?

:-)

2/07/2006 4:54 PM  
Blogger malcolm said...

Hey lisalove,

Miss talking with you.

The name -- I think I got a whiff of what you're saying. We thought about the Onion and Garlic River Roundtable but our high-paid Abenaki-linguist consultant suggested it was NOT an accurate translation of Winooski and we'd be inviting ourselves onto Oprah for an undressing.

Plus, anything to do with Garlic would invite a lot of comments from vampire-genre writers. Which of course would be fine. Assuming they don't bite.

The semester stuff -- confusing, I know. I looked on the school site to check but could still be wrong -- it seems they break us into Fall and Spring classes, as do most higher ed institutions.

But I'm with you -- that was definitely a "winter" we suffered. If we were truly Fall semester students, whycome we got no famed Vermont foliage?

Time for a tuition rebate rally?

2/08/2006 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clarification on the land of garlic vs. onion. I know we have to watch our back when it comes to frikkin Oprah and the Truth Mafia, for cry eye.

I'm thinking you and Stan should be co-presidents with that PC rant of yours.

Miss talking to you, too. Update me soon on the family.

Me

2/08/2006 1:19 PM  
Blogger Lené Gary said...

Hey Lisa,
Just wanted to send you a smile :).

Malcolm,
whycome? hu?

2/08/2006 10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lene!

Here's a smile back atcha! Hope all is well. How's the little work gig in the office treatin' ya?

2/09/2006 9:28 AM  
Blogger Lené Gary said...

Love the work gig in the office, Lisa. It's such a pleasure to be on campus a few days a week. Thanks for asking. How's the couch? ;)

2/09/2006 3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The couch is good, but the king size bed is better. :)
I spend most of my days trying to keep the dog off the dang couch. :::sigh:::

2/09/2006 7:58 PM  
Blogger marie said...

Hey gang!

This looks awesome...love the name...love the picture of college hall (much less spooky by daylight)...love the Algonquin mention (did i ever tell you all that i want to be Dorothy Parker when i grow up?) :-)

So, thanks for setting this up Ron, Malcolm and Lene! Looking forward to virtually hanging out with everyone.

2/10/2006 7:33 AM  
Blogger Everette said...

This is fantastic! Blogger.com works well for me; your choice of layouts is good, and clean.

Please give me a two-word tag to you guys, so I can place faces to names.

Malcolm, no one can miss you!

Stan, I think I talked to you a few times.

I am the short, shy blond, thick glasses; read a couple of risky poems at last residency.

Oh, Marie! A dorm floor friend, yes?

"The Onion River Roundtable!"

Got a nice ring to it.

Power to us.

Mel

p.s. I am experiencing a crisis in essay writing, so perhaps this forum will jumpstart some kind of coherence in me.

2/25/2006 6:20 PM  
Blogger Everette said...

To everyone on board:

The caliber of writing here is so on target, I am just a cap pistol.

How on God's green earth did I get in the Program?

My inner muse just screamed, "Get WITH the program, Mel!"

This forum is great, and an inspiration -- and beneficial on so many levels, a pyramid of thanks is rising;

might even spin it on its head.

So, thanks.

2/28/2006 9:26 PM  
Blogger malcolm said...

Melody,
You're gonna knock us "round the bend" (quoting Katherine Vaz) plenty. How'd you get in the program? You write as if powered by an mystical fuel.

Waiter: Whatever it is Mel is having? I'll have that, too.

3/03/2006 12:08 PM  
Blogger Everette said...

Malcolm, it's almost May, and I just now saw your inquiry.

So, I am "powered by a mystical fuel. . ." h'm . . .

A year and a half ago, I never dreamed or remotely imagined myself applying to grad school, let alone getting accepted to a program as strong as this one.
But, my Creative Writing advisor at the University of Ark at Little Rock, Prof. Ralph Burns, first off, consented to letting me pursue an "Advanced Creative Writing Project" (HA!) in the form of a chapbook. Burns suggested I could use my work for that class as application to grad school.

I remember thinking, "Grad School? WHAT?!?!? You're kidding, right?" So, anyway, I figured I have NOTHING to lose, and might as well just keep on going forth, out of curiosity, mind you. I also had the great fortune to consult with Dr. David Jauss, who saw my efforts in poetry writing in a far more 'rough' phase than now, if you can imagine that.

I guess, really, I speculate I got into the program as one of those students somewhat risky, but ripe for challenge.

So, I can thank the awesome risk-takers Ralph and Dave for my being here.

The classic line you quoted from "When Harry Met Sally" echoes in uproarious laughter from my L and me more times than we care to admit -- right down to the repetitive, "I'll have that . . . on the side."

Knock you "round the bend"?!?!?

Oh, my GOD! Let's hope it's a thrill ride.

I am getting to love the flexibility of bend/bent, more, everyday.

I was really old before I struck my first match, literally... practicing with a book didn't bode well for me. But, now, it's a cinch with matchsticks, and I could get really used to the click of a FOOOM! when an idea sticks around long enough to get it up to a spark.

I guess you know by now, FOOOMFOOMFOOM!

4/26/2006 6:22 PM  
Blogger Captain Melons said...

Hey there,

Looks like a great idea, unfortunately I'll have to pass--blogspot.com is currently blocked in China, where I'm usually spending my days (still in Slovenia right now after finishing a very relaxing residency...)

7/10/2006 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home